Homeowners are usually very certain about how they want to style their homes. As a result, they keep adding and installing new things that can enhance the beauty of their home. Modern table lamps are a perfect way to add a final touch to the room with style while also creating visibility for the people. Table lamps do more than brighten up a room; they act as a statement piece that allows you to complete the look of your room with perfection.
Finding a suitable table lamp might seem easy, but it’s overwhelming because there are wide varieties of options available in the market. So first, you can find these lamps in furniture stores, then browse their collection to find the perfect lamp for your home. But before purchasing, here are a few things you must consider; continue reading to know them.
Height And Size Of The Lamp
The first thing you should consider when trying to find a modern table lamp is its overall size and height. For that, you need to figure out where you want to place a lamp in your house- whether on a console table, desk, bedside table, dresser, nightstand, etc.
The lamp’s height is one of the most important things you should consider while buying it because the whole room might seem uncomfortable if the height is off. Here are general thumb rules that you must follow while considering the height of a modern table lamp:
- You would want the furniture and the lamp’s height to be between 58″ and 64″.
- If the table is shorter, you would want a taller lamp, and vice versa.
- You might want a taller lamp to fill the void if the ceiling is high.
Besides that, you must also pay attention to the size. It’s apparent that you wouldn’t want your table lamp to hang off or off the sides of the table and fall. So make sure to get the right size of the lamp, which sits perfectly while also leaving some space so that you can keep other things on the furniture piece.
Getting a lamp with a circular base is unnecessary if your accent table is circular. The same goes for rectangle and square tables as well. These are just a few basic things you need to remember while shopping for a table lamp.
The next thing that you should consider while buying a table lamp for your home is the lampshade. You might be utterly wrong if you think lamps for modern lighting don’t have lampshades. You can have a lamp that has a shade, and here are a few things you should know about finding the perfect modern lampshade:
- When it comes to the colors of the lampshade, you should stick to classic whites, tans and ivories, and other linen shades. These colors are widely accepted because they allow the light from the bulb to shine brightly, providing enough lighting to the space. However, you can also use dark colors like navy blue or black lampshades to make a statement with your modern lamp.
- When it comes to the spaces of lampshades, people love the straighter styles such as drum shades or rectangular shapes. These shapes give perfect, clean lines that match your modern home decor. However, if you want the lamp to illuminate the whole room perfectly, you should go for round lampshades.
- You would also want a lampshade with the right size for the base of your lamp. You can do this by ensuring the lampshade’s diameter is not more than 2 inches less than the length of the lamp’s base. Also, to make sure the lampshade isn’t too tall, find the average height of the shade and, measure the base, then divide it by three. These measurements will ensure everything is perfectly proportional in your room.
Material Of The Lampshade
The best thing about modern table lamps is that there are different materials available. This means that you can easily find the right one for your needs and have fun finding the accent lamp that will perfectly blend in with your space and complement your existing home decor. However, the first thing that you should consider is its durability.
If you have kids in your home and you are placing the lamp at a certain height, purchasing a glass or ceramic lamp wouldn’t be a good idea. You can instead get a desk lamp or a metal lamp that will be heavier to fall and break if bumped into.
However, if you are one of those people who doesn’t really care about durability, you can have fun exploring different materials. Of course, the material that’s best for your home will depend on your style preference and other things, but here are some of the styles options you can consider:
- Metal: Metal is a ubiquitous material of modern table lamps that comes in different colors like iron, gold, nickel, bronze, copper, brass, chrome, etc. With all these options available, you will be able to find the one that perfectly fits your room.
- Wood: You might think that wooden lamp isn’t very modern, but there are certainly unique styles available that can make them look modern. Whether it’s a funky wooden piece or a driftwood style, wood for bedside lamps and kitchen can be made modern with the right detailing. Many other styles, such as ceramic, porcelain, stone, terracotta, etc., are unique and give your room an aesthetic appearance.
Styling Of The Lamp
The last thing you should know about a modern lamp is to style it perfectly to give an excellent finish to your room. Then, you can add other decorative pieces on the table where you have placed the lamp to complete the room. Of course, you wouldn’t want to stuff a small table with a bunch of decorations as it will make the table look messy. But if there is ample space, you can add more accessories to fill up the space and personalize it.
There are some things that you would prefer to pair with a modern table lamp to complete the room, such as:
- Scented candles
- Books and magazines
- Potted plants or flower vases
- Photo frames
- Decorative Boxes
- Antique items
You must also ensure the light bulbs are perfect for the room and provide sufficient lighting that complements everything in the room. There are different types of bulbs that you can install in your table lamp, including halogen, LED, dimmable bulbs, and incandescent lights. Matching and mixing your table lamps is a great way to illuminate and add character to your room.
The placement of lamps plays a crucial role in enhancing the beauty of your room. Make sure you place it in an area where it’s accessible to turn it off and on but certainly not in the middle of the action. Also, remember to have your lamp’s location near the outlet so that you don’t have unsightly cords running over in the room.
Modern lamps illuminate your whole space with perfection and add a certain kind of beauty to your room. So make sure to get the right lamp that fits your needs and complements your home decor. You can go to furniture stores in UAE if you need options to choose from.